While I am all about my clients getting the Vitamin D they need, if you're fair skinned like I am you can’t always get it safely from the sun. Even my sun worshipping clients have Vitamin D levels that surprisingly, fall well below the optimal range for supreme immune and thyroid function.
"Vitamin D levels should be between 60 and 80 ng/L for optimal thyroid receptor and immune system function."
If your Vitamin D levels are low, it might be the reason why your thyroid is sluggish and your immune system is out of our wack. To get the most out of your nutrition consultation with me or any practitioner, make sure you bring your latest blood panels that include:
Vitamin D2: (ergocalciferol) – This form is found in some fortified foods and certain supplements.
Vitamin D3: (cholecalciferol) – This is the most biologically active form and is found in some high-quality supplements.
My Top 5 Sun Protection Tips
- Follow my Vitamin D rich food dietary protocol. Click HERE for 20% off your skin saving nutrition consultation through June 15, 2018.
- Find a great umbrella or my favorite UV hat. Click HERE for suggestions.
- Try my skin saving spray made with humic/fulvic acid minerals for wrinkles, sunspots, and light tanning for those of you with skin containing a high melanin content. Click HERE.
- Take Astaxanthin, an antioxidant which research shows acts as an internal sunscreen. The antioxidant I use isPure Encapsulation.
- Add Omega 3’s to your diet. Fish is a great source of all natural Omega 3's.
Protect The Skin Your are In
What is a health-minded person to do when more than 67% of all sunscreens on the market today either don't work or are filled with toxic chemicals that will actually promote rather than prevent skin cancer?
The answer is to use a good all natural sunscreen.
More than half of the sunscreens sold in the U.S. do not pass European standards as they don’t block UVA rays. We all need to focus on protecting our delicate hormones. Most of the sunscreen products out there today are known endocrine disruptors containing Oxybenzone and Retinyl Palmitate, a form of Vitamin A, that ironically can lead to skin tumors.
Other funny little ingredients to look out for in our mineral based sunscreen products are micro particles that are also potentially harmful. Don’t even get me started on those spray sunscreens I see all over the beach! Not only do they damage our respiratory system, but our ozone depleted environment as well.
My Favorite Sunscreens
Gazpacho in the Raw For Radiance
- One Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 of a large avocado
- 2-3 ripe tomatoes (Preferably organic heirloom)
- One medium cucumber, peeled and chopped or 2 Persian cucumbers, halved
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Small handful of fresh basil
- Small handful of cilantro
- Himalayan or sea salt to taste
- 1/2 clove garlic (optional)
- 1 Tbsp collagen powder (optional)
- In Vitamix or high speed blender, add all ingredients, except avocado and cilantro. Pulse several times until chunky consistency.
- Use Vitamix plunger to create an even blend.
- Pour gazpacho in bowl.
- Add 1/2 inch cubes of avocado and top with cilantro & sea salt.
HINT! ANTI-AGING AND ANTIOXIDANT LYCOPENE FOUND IN TOMATOES FIGHTS CELLULAR DAMAGE AND REDDENING OF THE SKIN FROM UV RAYS.